YouTube's Top 10 Videos of 2017
10 YouTube Videos Garner Over 633M Views
From international phenomenons and educational videos to thrilling moments from traditional media and big names, this year’s list of top trending videos represents the amazing variety of creativity brought to YouTube each day.
Collectively these 10 videos have more than 633M views (83M more than last year’s top 10 list) and were watched for over 40 million hours. The channels who created them have more than 55 million subscribers in total who tune in regularly to experience the content they create.
1. Until We Will Become Dust - Oyster Masked (ตราบธุลีดิน - หน้ากากหอยนางรม) | THE MASK SINGER 2
The Mask Singer is a celebrity singing competition show where the competitors wear elaborate masks to conceal their identities. It originated in Korea and has been produced in Thailand, Vietnam, and China.
Videos from the competition were viewed over 3 billion times in 2017. This one from Thailand was the most popular.
The song title can be loosely translated to "Love you until the world turns into dust".
This is the 4th time a non-US video has topped the list; this is the first time a video from Thailand has made #1.
2. ED SHEERAN - Shape Of You | Kyle Hanagami Choreography
- Kyle Hanagami is a Los Angeles-based dancer, choreographer, and dance instructor.
- With over 2.4 million subscribers and 325 million views, Hanagami he has one of the biggest choreography channels on YouTube.
- With over 118 million views, this is most-viewed choreography video on YouTube, ever.
3. Ping Pong Trick Shots 3 | Dude Perfect
- Dude Perfect has been making trick shot videos on YouTube since 2009 and have 24 million people subscribed to their channel. This ping pong trick shot montage is their biggest video of 2017, and already their second most-viewed video ever (behind only the video that this one is a sequel to: Ping Pong Trick Shots 2). It's also a sponsored advertisement for Oreos and therefore one of the top ads of 2017.
- Dude Perfect is the 13th largest channel on YouTube by subscribers and one of the top 10 channels in subscribers-gained in 2017.
- Over the years, people have watched their videos 4.2 billion times (and over a billion this year alone).
- This is the second year in a row they've made the list. Their water bottle flip was #6 on our 2016 list
- One of the biggest moments in TV talent shows this year, Darci Lynne Farmer went on to win the competition and the $1M prize.
- This is the 4th year in a row YouTube has had a talent show video on the list and the 2nd year in a row America's Got Talent has made the list. Grace VanderWaal's Golden Buzzer moment made the list last year.
- AGT videos were watched nearly 1 billion times on YouTube in 2017.
5. Ed Sheeran Carpool Karaoke
- James Corden is one of the most popular late-night hosts on YouTube and Carpool Karaoke is his most popular segment
Carpool Karaoke as a series has over 1.7 billion views on YouTube.
This is the third year in a row that Carpool Karaoke has been on the global YouTube Rewind list (last year, the Adele segment was #1).
6. Lady Gaga's FULL Pepsi Zero Sugar Super Bowl LI Halftime Show | NFL
- People came to YouTube after the game to find the ads, see highlights, and, of course, relive the much talked about halftime show. It was watched 3.8 million times the day following the game.
- The performance was Lady Gaga’s biggest 2017 video, by views.
7. "INAUGURATION DAY" — A Bad Lip Reading of Donald Trump's Inauguration
- Bad Lip Reading is a comedy channel that dubs over clips of politicians, actors, athletes and other pop culture figures with ridiculous voiceovers.
- This is the 2nd time Bad Lip Reading has made the list. (Their NFL edition made the list in 2013) BLR also drew millions of views for their Bad Lip Reading of the 2013 inauguration of President Obama.
- Bill Wurtz is a Shorty award-winning YouTube creator who produces comically animated videos. He has gained tremendous popularity through history montages, such as the 34 million-viewed history of japan from 2016.
- This is his most-viewed video and it's also his longest. While all his other videos average to fewer than 20 seconds in length, this video is nearly 20 minutes long.
- This is not just a one-off hit: over 20 of his videos have more than a million views.
9. In a Heartbeat - Animated Short Film
- This animated short film was produced by two students at the Ringling College of Art and Design for their senior thesis. It was funded through Kickstarter.
- First animated short to make the list since 2011 (Nyan Cat).
10. Children interrupt BBC News interview - BBC News
- Professor Robert Kelly was being interviewed by the BBC about South Korea when two children burst into the room. Funny moment that inspired headlines around the world.
- This video has been watched almost 25 million times but the most popular parody of it has more than 20 million views as well, which was one of many that turned used the clip as a target for social commentary or pop culture satire